TZ replica

Not that I have one of Erimenas' TZ replica's, but I do know a thing or two about them...

Don honored me by asking me to run one of his cars at the convention in Portland. He brought the same car to the convention in LA last year, and I do have to say, its a VERY nice car. There are some features that take getting used to, like how the door opens, and the sliding window.

The body of the car was taken from a mold of George Pezold's TZ, while the chassis was a close copy of the same. Close, but not the same... Instead of an independent rear suspension, it uses a 115 solid rear axle, with a sliding block. In the front, instead of an early version of the 105/115, he used a 116 with torsion bars. And instead of floor mounted pedals, it uses a hanging set.

The car was pretty fun to drive, even if I was rather intimidated by the whole thing. During my run group, I was running with the 33 and Richard Ballentine's REAL TZ. I thought I was a little over my head. Some issues that car had, which would be easy to fix- the front was too soft, and they welded the rear axle solid, both of which helped it understeer. Easy fix. I also had some problems with the brakes, as it didn't have a booster, so it was a little hard to get used to.

The engine was a well tuned 2.0l, and it was QUICK. I had a blast with the car then, and when he brought the car to LA last year, I did notice that a lot of the trim was finished off, making it look much better.

Very cool replica. Too many projects for me prevents me...

Eric Storhok
Ann Arbor, MI

AROC Detroit Homepage: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~alfa/index.htm