Re: Welding 101

Biba,

Check amazon.com for books by: Richard Finch and Ron Fournier   I'm not at
home so I can't tell you exactly what books I have.   Some were good, some
were very shallow overviews.  It seems hard to capture "craftsmanship" in
an intruction manual.

I've learned the most from reading the welding newsgroup... accept
anything by Ernie Leimkuhler as gospel.  He's an amazing welder, and a
better teacher.

http://groups.google.com/groups?group=sci.engr.joining.welding

I will say that gas welding sheet metal is a real art... in other words
it's a real pain in the ass.   You would be much better served by spending
about $500 for a 110v MIG + cylinder + gas & supplies.   It's like having
a metal glue gun.   You can make respectible welds with one in after about
15minutes of experimenting.   My mig welder was probably the best tool
purchase I've ever made.  (or you could say buying a rusty Milano was the
worst car purchase I've ever made :)  )

--Mark
The Alfa Wiki: http://alfa.denovich.org