Re: alfa-digest V9 #646

In a message dated 7/15/03 2:57:58 PM, owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< I can't tell you how many pieces, but I do know of a Lotus Elise and
a TVR Griffith here in the Cincinnati area that are "kit cars,"
having been imported in boxes.

- -Joe >>

I seem to recall that Lotus started out that way; selling separate
bodies and drive trains (tax avoidance then). IIRC, there was a
severe accident repair manual included (not a construction man-
ual, mind you), again to end run taxes. The result was Lotus couldn't
be taxed as a manufacturer - either of kits or complete cars - since
separate divisions sold the pieces...

Tony in NJ
W.A.S.T.E.