Re: Busted for Car Dealing??

A quick search of news.google.com revealed this.

http://www.tennessean.com/local/archives/03/07/ 35783390.shtml?Element_ID=35783390

What I find most infuriating besides the possibility of a 55 year sentence for trying to provide customers what they want. Is that they are being charged because these cars failed to meet air and safety standards. When in actuality, they just haven't been subjected to them. This being because of the ridiculous barricade of laws designed to make sure that only large auto manufacturers can compete. I'm all for raising the bar on clean air and safety standards. But it should be easy to determine if the car passes or fails. It shouldn't require a $million payoff first.

Now I don't know all the details, the article wasn't very informative. If they were actively deceiving their customers, then punitive measures make sense. But if they are just caught in another legal catch 22, something needs to be done to change the laws back to being reasonable. We have way too many laws that make criminals out of ordinary citizens (business owners in this case). Sadly it would take the combined efforts of many car clubs around the country mobilizing all of their members to even get noticed by legislators.

J. Greg Williams
'91 164L
Somerville, MA