What is really distressing about this is that we Americans can't have the cars we want any more. The government can't be bothered to find Muslim terrorists, here on student visas who have disappeared into the general population, but they can be bothered catch and prosecute a man who is just trying to fill a sales vacuum by giving people cars that they want to buy (a victimless crime, BTW. I want to buy a new Alfa, he sells me a new Alfa. What do I care that it's gray market?). And there is no way that anybody can do anything to get these stupid laws altered to allow American citizens to import a car personally, or get them revoked altogether. So much for freedom.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0S

On Friday, Jul 11, 2003, at 11:46 US/Pacific, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 15:47:27 +0000 (GMT)
From: greg@domain.elided
Subject: Re: The end of Autodelta?

It would be a pity if this is true. With these guys around there was at
least hope that some new cars would find their way here. Of course, it was
really hard to find anything from their website, and the only dealers you
heard about was in CA or NJ/NY area. And everytime I went looking at their
site I kept wondering if these people were for real or even legit.

Now, I seem to recall some mumblings about Alfa Romeo not too happy with
them using Autodelta in the US. Could it be Alfa reported them?

I also remember reading Autodelta USA's site saying they special ordered
these cars from Alfa to be in compliance with US specs, and that they were
made in the factory, what I don't remember is where exactly AR logos etc
were removed and Autodelta USA's logos were installed.

As for emissions compliance -- I think one of the things to be
declared is that the engine is basically the same as one previously sold
in the US, thus the cars were only available with the 3.0 litre engine
since the AR 3 was in the 164 until 94/95. Of course, that's now 8 years
ago, and engine management changes or other changes might mean a more
recent 3.0 is not the same motor "legally" speaking. Plus, I know AR has
been selling a 3.2 recenty, and smaller sized v6, but I don't recall
hearing about the 3.0. Is the 3.0 still in production models? Since all
cars now are supposed to have ODBC II, does that include "small
manufacturers"? Would these cars have to be ODBC II compliant? If so,
that's probably one thing they'll get nailed for.

Just thinking out load. Anyone have any concrete information about this
story?

Greg