shankle weber conversion behavior

I bought my 77 spider with a shankle weber conversion and euro style cannister
airbox and I can never seem to get it to idle properly, or rather, *return* to
idle after it's warmed up and driven.  After a long time, maybe like 20-30
seconds, it'll finally drop back down to a proper idle speed.  It likes to
linger around 1500-2000 rpms for too long.  The carbs have the usual "factory"
jetting for a 2L, the throttle plates are in sync, and the idle screws have
all been carefully adjusted.  It does idle fantastically *once* it finally
decides to.  Basically the only way for me to get my engine down to idle
speeds promptly once warmed up, is to retard my ignition timing.  I know isn't
the right way to do it.  Is this just a characteristic of webers in general?
or the shankle conversion in general?  Would a proper euro manifold &
mounts/etc do this as well?  I have recent regular bosch platinums in there
and new properly adjusted points, the ignition is basically up to par.

My ultimate goal is to convert back to spica, however that is a long way off
due to money and lots of missing parts (pretty much all of them)
____
  /<>/>/>
77 spider refuses to sit "idle" :)