Front end noise

Alfisti,
I need to start running down some of my front end issues in my car now.
First problem is a squeak, if I turn my steering wheel, I get a squeaking in
the left front. It seems like the brake pads are rubbing the rotor, like a
squeak.....squeak.... depending on speed, but only happens when the wheel is
off center and only seems to happens if I turn left. There is also a bit of
play in my steering wheel, about .5 inch. Is this common, and if not can I
tighten it up? Any help is appreciated. I have new pads and rotors on all
four corners, I'm going to jack the front up and turn the wheels looking for
the problem.

Thanks!
Graham
85 GTV6