Spider Starter / ring gear ID

I have a '73 Spider (Series 2) and am planning to purchase a gear reduction starter for the Series 4 Spiders and lose my old, heavy, crappy performing starter. Since the '72 - '74 Spiders have the same number of flywheel teeth as the '91 to '94 Series 4 Spiders (130 teeth), I can just bolt it right on. Series 2A and 3 Spiders would need a ring gear swap from the 131 tooth ring gear, to the 130 tooth ring gear.

- - Jason Hagen
'73 Spider
'95 164Q

Hmmm.... wondering how you identify the different starters.. at least for the early 70's to late 70's?

I have a starter in a bag that was given to me, but is not the original, when I got a basket case 72-74 motor that I'm putting together. I have no idea of it's vintage.

It's going in a 77 Spider, which has it's own starter. My worry was compatibility with the ring gear. I'm semi committed to the flywheel/ring gear of the old motor due to it being resurfaced and balanced with the crank.

Another question, is there a more desirable starter in the 70's era?

Now that I'm actually getting somewhere, it's getting a little more important that I ask these again..

Jon
77 Spider