164 Steppers and traffic on several lanes

Hi everyone
On the 164 Steppers, they live for 4 years, that's how long a replacement
worked on mine. Going with the metal gears is a good idea. I thought Bosch fixed
them as the parts places attested as new spare number. Don't forget to get the
video tape of how to replace from International Auto.
Also, remeber that steppers make a noise from day 1. It begins as a repeated
slight electrical hum. You can only hear it in a quiet day, with the engine
off, windows up and key in "on"position. As time passes it becomes more obvious
untill you start hearing it in normal driving. That doesn't mean yet that you
have to change them or else..
What happened to you is that by default the steppers remain to
"vent"position. I have only partial evidence to that, but think that their unit parks them
in vent position. That is where they wear. So, if you put the unit in "down" or
auto position, it will move the steppers out of "park" and the clicking will
go away.
That's what I do on my 164 since I'm too busy these days changing various
other things on the car.
As far as US traffic pattern vs EU, although each system has its advantages,
and I certainly like the Autobahn concept, I must state, that back in 1990,
while reading an article in "Spiegel" about the plans of the German authorities
about reorganization of the newly merged Eastern German region, an official
was saying that there was a lot to gain (according to studies) in fluency of
traffic by adopting the American system of passing in any lane.

Vlad
'91 164 L