GTV-6 coming back to life

I have an 84 GTV-6 that is slowly coming back to life.  It sat around in
somebody's heated garage for many years with the motor partially
disassembled.  It's not completely clear why it got to that state as he
apparently only started to do a valve adjustment, but that's history.  I
moved it to my (unheated) garage, pulled the motor, and have been trying to
resurrect it.  I should probably mention that this is my first Alfa, so it's
been quite a learning experience.  The digest has been very helpful.

The motor is reassembled, back in the car, and even runs- sort of.  The
first time I started it, it ran pretty good, but on 5 cylinders.  An
injector was apparently bad, so I pulled tham and sent them off for
overhaul.  It's back together now, starts, but seems to be very rich.
(cough, sputter, blackish smoke, etc)  Any suggestions on where to start?

thanks
chris

84 gtv6, southern NH