Hollywood trivia (was: Driving in Italia)

Dean Cains, writing about "'The Gumball Rally', a movie from '76?", says "It's
not a great movie, but was made before the era of replicars, so the Daytona,
Cobra, Porsche, jaguar, etc., are all real cars."

Didn't see the movie (and unlikely to) so can't comment on whether the cars
were real cars, but Brooks Steven's Excalibur SS (a Mercedes replicar of
sorts), Glenn Pray's 8/10 Cord and the Siata 'Spring' all date from the early
sixties, the "4R" Zagato dates from '66, the Leontina (a far more convincing
Alfa 1750 replicar) from the early seventies, and there are undoubtedly many
others. Some are more debatable than others- was Briggs Cunningham's BuMerc of
the thirties a replicar? Were some meant to be believable, or merely
evocative? But I couldn't tell the Italmechannica Porsche Speedster copy from
the real thing from five feet away. Don't remember its date, but copying has
been around for a long time, Hollywood is good at it, and I doubt that a
'1976' date guarantees that the movie cars are 'real'. (Not that it matters -
)

John H.