Re: ALFA RUNNING LIGHTS

Hi Clay
I don't "think" the 84 Spider originally had relays but I've never owned
one. I understand many people have added relays to their Spiders so maybe
yours does. Brian Shorey's description in Velocissima is excellent and I
can do no better, so I suggest following his directions for the relays. I'm
sorry but I didn't take any photos or make up a fancy diagram like Brian's.
You can get the circuit diagram from the Service manual.
I added the DRLs at the same time as the relays because it was convenient
and because Bostons traffic is worse the NJs! The Hamsar DRL unit came with
a circuit diagram that showed where every wire spliced into the system.
There was a fair amount of room on the right hand wall of the engine
compartment so I placed the fuse block, DRL and relays next to each other
there. There is a single positive unfused 12V supply on the left hand wall
of my Spider - its the one with 3-4 large red supply wires coming from it.
I sent a 10g supply wire from there to the fuse block on the right hand
wall and tapped into everything there. To supply a feed to the left hand
bulbs you'll need to send a couple of 14g wires back to the left hand side.
Its simple to identify the wires for the headlights using a pin passed
through the outer sheath of the wire, before cutting it in half. I also
suggest getting some black sheathing and shrink tubing from Waytek to make
the job look professional.
Overall it took me a few hours to do and I enjoy having the lights on while
driving.
Good luck
Simon