Re: alfa-digest V9 #614

On Wednesday, July 2, 2003, at 06:42 PM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 20:00:21 -0400
From: "Barrett, Jim" <JiBarrett@domain.elided>
Subject: Alfa Museum in Arese; Rental Bliss

Esteemed Digestibles:

Shaun asked:
 Does any body have the address and or any contact information on the
 Alfa Factory+Museum?
The previous replies, especially George Graves', were perfect. They also
triggered my feeble memory to finally send a post to the Digest describing
our good fortune to be there last month.

The museum is nothing less than wonderful (and bigger, better and filled
with more exciting machinery than the Ferrari counterpart),\
No argument there. It is the best auto museum I've been in - and not just because I'm an Alfisto either.

and, if you
believe what we were told while there, should be seen soon. Although I hope
this is only an Italian version of an urban myth, we were advised that the
office buildings and museum were going to be torn down, and another museum
built elsewhere. This new museum would have fewer cars on display, and place
a greater emphasis on education and accessibility to children. There was
also mention that the site would become a commercial office park. Obviously,
I reeeeaaaallllly hope this isn't true.
That rumor has been floating around for several years. The last time I was there, 2001, the plan was to relocate the museum to downtown Milan by 2003, and the Arese plant was to be torn down in 2002. The production facility at Arese isn't used for assembly of Alfas any more, but I think some final fitting-out of several Lancias is still done there. Obviously, they haven't torn down the Arese plant yet, so who knows?

I also must mention our extreme good fortune and/or alignment of the planets
while there: with a bit of coaxing at the Avis counter at Malpensa airport,
we drove off in a light metallic green (verde borealis) 156 wagon. This car
was a blast to drive! With four adults and their luggage, and while cruising
on the Autostrada effortlessly between 165-170 kph, the 1.9 L JTD (turbo
diesel) never got less than 30 mpg, and mostly while using the air
conditioning. Like everyone else from the US of A that has driven one, we,
too, would love to have one here (including the JTD motor, which lacked our
familiar rocks-in-a-soda-can sounds).
I agree that the 156 wagon is GORGEOUS, and even though I've never driven a 1.9 JTD, I have driven the 2.4 JTD in a 156 sedan in 2000. Marvelous car. Great gas milage while effortlessly cruising at 115-120 MPH on the Autostrade. Decent acceleration too, which I could not say for the 1.6 liter gasoline powered 147 I had on my 2001 Italian jaunt.

Cheers!

Jim Barrett
Huntington Beach, CA USA