Spider motor mounts

Hi all,

I'm happy to say that as a new (again, after a hiatus of several years) Alfa owner with a new (to me) 91 Spider, the recent thread on failing motor mounts was fortunately timed and helpful. I'm sending this out as a sanity check of sorts, and also soliciting some advice. I had a very thorough inspection of the car once I got it up to NYC, and was told the driver's side mount was weak, which squeaked by unnoticed in the initial pre-buy inspect in Atlanta.

Since then, I've driven the car has followed me to the LA area, and along the way the car bottomed out pretty hard on a pretty dippy section of Rt. 66 in Arizona. Surprisingly the oil pan guard looked unbent (they really are sturdy, aren't they?), but in the past week I've also bottomed out on 3-4 more minor dips. There's also noticeably increased vibration overall and a definite shudder and sometimes thunk on takeoff from a complete stop.

My question is about the sturdiness of the mounts, as my guy back in NY thought it a bit odd since the driver's side mount looked new. Could something else be causing premature wear on the mount? Is it fine to replace that mount by itself, or should I take care of both mounts at the same time? Are the Spruell reinforced mounts worth the extra money? How much of a vibration penalty will the Spruell mounts incur?

Also, and probably best left to off-line correspondence, any experiences and recommendations for LA-area Alfa shops? I'd say primary concern might be cost, I'm a poor grad student now, plus I've never had the luxury of a choice of shops in the same area...

Thanks in advance!

Eugene
91 Spider
Venice, CA