Lower A-arm torque-spec

I've had great difficulty with these torque specs, I also stripped a thread
when someone told me the spec was 60lb-ft, which meant dismantling the entire
suspension to replace (spring-out..again). But after a quick discussion with
Tom Sahines, I saw common sense. My problem had been that the overly-tight nuts
caused the a-arm bushes to bind on the x-member-rod (back-beam?), so my
suspension had huge "stiction" and wasn't working right at all.

In my opinion, the reason there's no torque spec in most books is because
you're supposed to do it by feel. Tighten it up to a good tight feel, back it
off a smidgen, then smack the washer over and you're done. The washer stops the
nut coming undone, and even in the unlikely event of the nut backing off - the
A-arm won't come apart because the spring pan holds the arms together, so that
they can't fall off the back-beam.

90lb-ft is just plain crazy - there are about 2.5 little fine threads inside
those thin nuts. The above is just my experience but I know that 90lb-ft will
destroy something.

-Richard
1967 GTV
San Jose