Re: alfa-digest V9 #606

From: "Paul Begemann" <pbegem@domain.elided>
Subject: 164 LS Radiator Fan no go

After a week of hot weather in the northeast this week, when I got home
today the radiator fan on my 164LS (1994) seems to have died.  It was
literally as I was pulling in my driveway, but as I idled the engenie temp
kept climbing and the fan did not come on (low or high speed).  It was
working ok, both speeds, earlier and I did have a new low speed resistor put
on a couple of years ago.  My guess is a fuse - where is the 40A fuse for
the fan motor.  If that is not it, what else should I check out.  I doubt if
the fan motor would suddenly die, so my guess is that it is a fuse or relay
or something.  I would like to get it fixed  by Monday, assuming I do not
need any Alfa-specific parts, so HELP PLEASE!!

Paul B. in Conn.

Look on the right side of the firewall for the master cylinder
reservoir. Left of it is a black plastic box mounted on a larger black
plastic box. The little one contains the 40A fuse, a flat strip of
metal, and it is your most likely suspect. You do need a replacement
Alfa part but a very temporary solution - to get you to a place you can
buy one - is to put both leads on the same terminal.

Nicky