GTV too cold

	Ever since I remounted the cooling fan on my GTV after my local Alfa
mech. mentioned that it was on backwards, the GTV has been running quite
cool.  During the cooler months this spring (50's and 60' air temp), the
temp. gauge would go up to around 180 degrees before dipping down but
never recovering back to 175.  In fact it was running between 165 to 175
at speed fully 'warmed'; temp. would go up during long idles but drop
back down when moving.  Only these hotter days (85-92 degrees) in the DC
area has the temp. gauge stayed above 175.

	I've tested the thermostat in a pot of water on the stove with a
thermometer - no leaks and it opens around 180.  Even got a trial
replacement from the mech. which produced no change in the temp.  And
the spark plugs tell a story of the mixture being too rich - black and sooty.

	One idea is to put the fan in backwards, install a hotter thermostat
(190), or even an electric fan with an 180 thermostat.  But I'd like to
try and figure out just what is going on.  Any one with any ideas???

	Bruce

	'73 GTV
	'86 Spider