Electrical (?) gremlin...

Having decided that I could no longer apply my limited skills to the Spica
in my 74 Spider, I took it to a mechanic that had been recommended to me,
and he did a GREAT job in going through the system...easier starting,
smoother running, much better power curve, and no more backfiring.

Toward the end of the 15-mile drive home, however, I took a curve
Italian-tune-up-style, and immediately all the warning lights blinked on and
off, the gas needle started fluctuating, the radio went dead, and the
backfiring returned with a vengeance.  Generator light was also glowing dull
at idle (which was up to about 1500 - 2000), and went off with acceleration.

The problem has persisted...the car runs great except for fluctuating idle
and those LOUD backfires, and still shows glowing generator light, radio
cutting off and on, no warning lights at start-up, and fluctuating gas
needle (in a way that's not mechanical but electrical).

I've checked:

voltage to the battery....fine at idle and increases with acceleration
wiring connections (I have a crane elec ignition system, and it seems to be
fine)
variation with the amp/stereo powered or not (doesn't seem to matter)

Am suspecting electrical given the symptoms and the sudden onset, but am
puzzled at how it's showing up and what to do...

suggestions?

THANKS!

Mark Kunkel
74 Alfa Spider