From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided] On Behalf Of Jim
Steck
Sent: Sunday, June 22, 2003 11:07 PM
To: alfa-digest@domain.elided
Subject: Re: swing axles, etc.

I can't believe this urban legend continues!  Nader and his team of lawyers
was unable to demonstrate to the courts the supposed tendency for the
Corvair to roll over.  All but one of the comparison vehicles, including VW,
Renault, Valiant, others, did roll over.  The case involved an overloaded
swing axle Corvair, with furniture tied to the roof, that rolled down the
side of a mountain.  The roll-over could not be repeated on flat pavement.

FWIW, the fiberglass spring in the Corvette adds no roll stiffness. Each end
acts as an independent cantilever spring.  On the other hand, the '64
Corvair had a transverse leaf spring in addition to very soft coil springs.
This spring pivoted in the middle and provided vertical stiffness, but no
roll stiffness . . . reducing the rear roll stiffness of the swing axle
Corvair and eliminating the oversteer.

>From '65 on, the rear suspension was a copy of the Corvette IRS
with coil springs instead of the transverse leaf.

Jim Steck

> It is somewhat ironic
> that the superior power of the Corvair was what got ordinary folks
> into trouble.

> Finally, another interesting characteristic of the transverse leaf
> spring is built in anti roll stiffness. The Corvette used a single
> leaf
transverse