Re: swing axles, etc.

I can't believe this urban legend continues!  Nader and his team of
lawyers was unable to demonstrate to the courts the supposed
tendency for the Corvair to roll over.  All but one of the comparison
vehicles, including VW, Renault, Valiant, others, did roll over.  The case
involved an overloaded swing axle Corvair, with furniture tied to the
roof, that rolled down the side of a mountain.  The roll-over could
not be repeated on flat pavement.

FWIW, the fiberglass spring in the Corvette adds no roll stiffness.
Each end acts as an independent cantilever spring.  On the other
hand, the '64 Corvair had a transverse leaf spring in addition to
very soft coil springs.  This spring pivoted in the middle and provided
vertical stiffness, but no roll stiffness . . . reducing the rear roll
stiffness of the swing axle Corvair and eliminating the oversteer.

>From '65 on, the rear suspension was a copy of the Corvette IRS
with coil springs instead of the transverse leaf.

Jim Steck