Spider Springs.. when to replace?

When I followed my son, who was driving the '82 spider, sparks would come out from under the car at 70 MPH when he hit dips in the road. When we got back home and lifted the car, the drain plug had been ground down into a wedge. That seemed like a pretty good indication that we needed new springs. This was in the year 2000, so the springs were 18 years old at this point. IAP street/ performance springs were shorter and lowered the car a bit but it no longer scrapes at high speed dips in the road.
joel lewis
houston, tx
'82 spider