Berlina Road Trip 2003

I'm back in Seattle after my big summer road trip adventure. As you all know, I bought John Elrod's 1971 Berlina 1750. I flew down to Oakland last sunday to pick up the car.

First of all this is not your average 1750. The original engine has been replaced by a Weber carbed 2000. It has 10548 cams and a 4.3 axle only found on Euro-spec Alfas. This car was originally a German market 1750. This combo makes it wicked fast.

My friend Josh and I flew to Oakland (our plane was delayed by 2 hours). John picked us up in his Le Mans blue Berlina 2000 (very nice, well sorted Berlina). We drove to his place in Albany where I was able to check out the car for the first time. It was exactly as John has represented it. I mention this because John had called me in a panic the day before saying that the trunk lock had broken. I told him it was not big deal. To make a long story short John had taken it to a couple Alfa mechanics and a locksmith and none of them could get it open. I, without John's knowledge, contacted Hans Quennet who just happened to have an extra lock cylinder and key for a 1750 for me.

We took the car for a test drive through Berzerkeley. It was amazing. Very fast and responsive. When I got back to John's we sealed the deal and then he took us to meet Andrew Watry (which was a treat). We shot the shit at Andrew's for a bit then Andrew handed me a nice front grill for my new purchase. We headed back to John's picked up the car, said adios and hit the road. We made it as far as San Francisco where we decided to grab a motel on Lombard and stay the night.

In the morning we took off down the Pacific Coast Highway. The car handled everything I could throw at it without even breathing hard. You can pull 55 - 60 mph in second gear and it is right there for you. I'm still amazed every time I drive it. I won't bore you with the details about how gorgeous the drive was. The only issue I had with the car was somewhere outside of Fort Bragg (which in my opinion is the armpit of N. Cal.). I noticed the exhaust note changing until it was obvious that something was up. I parked the car and checked out the rear muffler...yup, the joint where the tail pipe comes out had failed. Oh well, no biggy. I tried to find a muffler shop in Fort Bragg but to no avail. That night we camped at a state park just outside of Fort Bragg. The next morning we took off.

Passing through Eureka we ran across a muffler shop who fixed me right up. They were fantastic. The women working behind the counter told me that her husband had owned the only Alfa Dealership in Eureka before Alfa had pulled out. It was nice knowing my Berlina was in good hands.

Once the muffler was fixed we took off for Crescent City and then headed inland to Grants Pass Oregon. We took I-5 up to Portland and stayed the night there. The next morning we headed out to Longview where I visited some Family and the took off for Olympia. In Olympia I decided to see if I could fix the trunk lock. I open the gas filler door and pushed out the rubber boot so I could see into the trunk. At first I tried a coat hanger which would have worked but I realized that the lever had to be pushed in the other direction. I got a wooden dowel and pushed the lever and bingo, the trunk opened. I replaced the lock and all was right with the world again.

After hanging in Olympia I went back to Seattle. Home sweet home.

I'm in the process of writing an in depth article about the trip which should be published sometime soon so I left out a bunch of details. I'll be at Ferraris On 12th tomorrow so if any Seatle Alfisti are there, be sure to come over and check out the little cream Berlina sleeper.

Damian
magista@domain.elided
1971 Berlina 1750 Rocket