Electronic ignitions in 105 cars

"From: "Dave Mericle" <veloce@domain.elided>
Subject: Electronic Ignition"
"What's the word on electonic ignition upgrades for 105 Spica Alfas?"

I've run both Crane and MSD 6A ignitions in my Spider.  Both are great
improvements over stock '72 which was straight points/coil.  I don't know
how they might compare to a Marelliplex, but have both Marelliplex and MSD
boxes in Gort, the Berlina.  Sooner or later, I'll have a comparison.

Aesthetically, the Crane is much smaller and more unobtrusive than the MSD's
big red/aluminum box, if you care about that.  I found both of them very
easy to install although the size of the MSD dictated that I move things
around some.  I put it against the U.S. driver side of the engine
compartment with the coil, where the battery used to be.  Temperature tests
proved it doesn't get too hot there, notwithstanding the headers to the
southeast.

The electronic ignitions make for much easier starting and cold running:
the MSD puts multiple fat sparks across .060" spark plug gaps so if you get
non electrically marooned at night somewhere you could always pull the plugs
and have a light show.  Play In A Gadda Da Vida and rock out until AAA shows
up or the battery dies.

You don't get full benefit until you open that gap, so don't neglect to do
it.

All in all, an electronic ignition is a very worthy upgrade as verified by
Squadra Empirica, and one I'd recommend to anyone who does not need to keep
concours originality.

Peace,
Joe
'72 Spider w/ Mustang wheels, Miata seats and Daimler/Chrysler paint.  She
ain't a concours queen, she's a sensual slut.
Sono lento, ma sono brutto.