Re: L-Jetronic ECU fragility? was V6 stalling - slightly off, now with even more off!

I think you misunderstood, or perhaps I failed to explain well enough.

My point was that the G-Tech Pro used the ignition noise on the car's 12 volt power "supply" to sense engine RPMs. The fact that it does a reasonable job is merely illustrated by the fact the that the G-Tech Pro's internal LCD 'tach' (just a bar that moves across the screen which has numbers above it) seems to track the one in the car pretty accurately.

Didn't mean to sound like I'm starting a flame war..
I appriciate the intent of your comment... that it's easily possible to get a tach reading from the noise level of a auto system. Kinda scary to think of the amount of spikes, noise and etc in there, but it's the norm for cars in general.

I once read a application note from National Semiconductor, for engineers designing with their chips, on what you are up against and what you need to do to protect your circiuts from an auto power environment. Quite hostile in there.. but you take a few steps, and your design will be happy for years.

Jon
Irvine, CA
77 Spider