Re: backfiring

At 08:41 PM 6/19/03 +0000, you wrote:

<snip>  I now have a question
about backfiring upon deceleration... what's the best
way to test a fuel cutoff solenoid and microswitch?
If either is the culprit, can they be replaced without
removing the Spica pump?
I just used a small test light bulb on a long (speaker) wire that runs into the cockpit where I can see when the light as I drive. The bulb is hooked to the solenoid and ground. What you end up with is a light that flashes on when the cutoff solenoid is activated and goes off when the solenoid goes off. After my diagnostic, I just left the bulb installed - it provides an ongoing performance of the cutoff and microswitch operation, particularly the resumption RPM of fuel flow.

You can also test just the solenoid by applying 12v to the spade connection and listening for the click of the solenoid. I can't imagine replacing the microswitch without removing the pump, although it has been claimed to be possible with the pump in place.

Finally, backfiring can be caused by the front and rear throttle bodies not being synchronized.

//kct, Powell, TN