Re:L-Jetronic ECU fragility? was V6 stalling - slightly off topic!

On Thursday, June 19, 2003, at 10:00 AM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 18:07:05 +0200
From: "John Fielding" <johnf@domain.elided>
Subject: L-Jetronic ECU fragility? was V6 stalling - slightly off topic!

Hi All,

George Graves today on the AD made a comment about L-Jetronic ECU's being susceptible to
probing with a test lamp. He intimated this can cause damage to the internal electronics.

Well, having repaired numerous L-Jet and Motronic boxes and seen the sort of circuitry
used in them I would very much doubt Georges comment. (I also design and manufacture
automotive electronic modules so I have also been aware of some of the problems you can
experience).
I was repeating Pat Braden's advice as outlined in his "Alfa Romeo Bible." If I could put my hands on my copy, I'd quote chapter and verse, but I don't know where I put it. Maybe some other digester can come to my aid here.

Bosch are not idiots when it comes
to designing vehicle electronics and they do a comprehensive "what-if" scenario as part of
the design effort, like most vehicle electronics designers. A 12V battery is a hostile
environment, one semiconductor manufacturer calls it "the supply from hell" as it has so
many glitches and transient spikes due to the many inductive circuits being powered from
it. A Defence Standard specification exists for 24V vehicles. One paragraph I remember
is the sort of transient caused by simply blowing the horn. Voltages typically to be seen
on the 12V supply can exceed 60V spikes! On fuel injected vehicles I have measured spikes
as much as 300V due to the injectors being switched on & off. Normally the battery is
considered to act like a large capacitor and should damp these transient to neglible
levels. However, lead acid batteries are rather poor when they have to deal with high
frequency transients, they appear like a soggy resistor with a lot of series resistance or
impedance and do little to clamp the spikes. The further away from the battery terminals
the worse this becomes. As the wiring in a vehicle is a tightly bundled set of parallel
wires running for considerable distances, if a wire carries a transient generated current
the wires also running along side this one will pick up similar voltages. Because of this
great care and additional circuitry is normally needed to prevent the transients being
induced into other lines from reaching damaging proportions.
While this is, as you say, a bad thing, an interesting aside (which backs-up what you say about the system being poor at suppressing transients) is the fact that the G-Tech Pro performance meters all get their RPM tach information out of the same cigar lighter jack as they get their power! They tell the operator to rev the engine first to 3500 RPM and hold it, then press the "OK" button, then let the RPMs drop to 1700 and press the "OK" button again. The computer obviously integrates the noise spikes on the line to read RPMs. It works too. My G-Tech Pro Competition model's digital tach tracks my GTV-6's tach very accurately!