69 Giulia Super headlight switch problem

One of the few things needing repair on the '69 Giulia Super I just bought is the high beam switch.  The low beams work as they should, but the high beams don't light when I move the switch down. I can make the high beams light by pressing the contacts in the switch together manually, but then smoke comes out of the switch.  I guess this means the switch is bad.  I'd be interested in ideas about what would make it smoke and whether there is a way to repair it.

Thanks,
Dana Loomis
'69 Giulia Super
'71 Giulia Super