giubos

Ralph,
What do you mean? The Alfa 6 didn't last too long..

From what I can think of, the main reason for the rear transaxle was for weight distribution. Which is the same reason P-cars did it on the 924, 928, 944... and why Vette does it now.

Drawbacks include either a driveshaft that is directly connected to the engine (Alfa, clutch in back) or having to deal with the driveshaft with the syncros (P-cars, clutch in front). Remember, the g-i-ubos are more for NVH and crank harmonics than any movement in the system- as the trans and engine should be firmly attached to the car. The vette does something different with a torque tube.

Not a cheap system. And hard to assemble. Good for low volume performance cars. Not so good when you need to make a lot, unless you are owned by a government body and need to employ a lot of people. Ok, the last part was my editorial.

But, none the less, rear trans axle cars are not that bad.

Eric Storhok
Ann Arbor, MI

AROC Detroit Homepage: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~alfa/index.htm