Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 12:49:43 -0400
From: ltooz@domain.elided (LLe_2002)
Subject: 91 Spider VVT?

Hello all,
 My VVT (Variable valve timing?) solenoid fell off it's holder. The car
barely rev over 4500 RPM, the idle started to be randomly eratic.
According to the manual, the lock nut & the solenoid should be threaded
tightly into the holder, but somehow, the plastic insert all worn out and
separated from the case (another great design from alfa?).
 After taking the whole thing apart, pry off all the plastic around the
lock nut, I found a way to secure the lock nut & the solenoid to the
holder. Drill a hole on the holder case, using a screw thru this hole to
press against the lock nut after the adjustment (setting the solenoid
to touch the VVT pin). The Nut is tightly in place, turn on the engine,
rev it up and I can see the solenoid activated through the peek hole
pushing the VVT rod in and out.
 The car revs so smoothly now to 5500 RPM (with over 100,000 miles I
don't really want to push it with original engine). This little solenoid
really make the difference. The idle is stable.
 I have NO IDEA what this little push rod and solenoid do, the manual
doesn't say much. It does make or break the car performance. If anyone
who understand what it does, please let me know.
 The car passed smog 2 days before this VVT fellout of the holder, it
failed once @ idle due to eratic RPM (loose). Luckily the second time it
passed.

Thanks,

Louis Le