Re: V6 Bent Valves

We stalled our engine in traffic on the Bluewater Bridge crossing into Canada @ Sarnia after the Detroit National Convention in 1990. Our timing belt had 40,000 and the sudden stop stripped teeth off the belt. But on a new belt and tensioner should this happen? Shouldn't the rebuilder help out?

I wonder if the tension was right on the belt or if the tensioner was working correctly on Phil's car. Shouldn't the tensioner keep the belt from going slack? I know it was all new, doesn't the rebuilder give any kind of warranty?

?????? Puzzled,
Bernie Bennett
Brenham, TX
Only two timing belts left 2 164's, One Spider Veloce w/ a timing chain our daily driver.

Here's my theory:

When you stalled the engine the momentum of the car was such that it
rolled forward and perhaps jerked backwards...because the car was in
gear it turned the engine creating slack in the timing belt. When you
started it again the belt, because of the slack, jumped a couple teeth
and mangled your valves.
That sucks. I feel your pain. The timing belt on my first Milano jumped
and trashed three of my exhaust valves.
Damian

Damian Magista
berlina 1750 / berlina 2000 (just sold) / milano (sold)