Re: Florida Travel AROC USA NCAM 2003 What To Do On the way or while there? Little Alfa Content

On Sun, 08 Jun 2003 22:29:02 -0500 Bernie Bennett <bennetts77833@domain.elided> wrote:
> Florida residents especially, what's on your must see list.

i'm an ex florida resident (who is unhappy about not being able to make the
convention, but present cash flow does not permit.) maybe i can help some.

> You should
> know we like bird watching. Also we've been to Pensacola to the Naval
> Air Station to the Naval Air Museum (Wow, rivals the National Air &
> Space Museum.) When we went to see Fred a couple of years ago, we drove
> down the West Coast of Florida,. Very nice, the Sewanee (Suwanee
> actually) River, Tampa and great food. Ft. Meyes, The Edison estate.
> Sanibel Island and the Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge (Worth a
> Visit).

i've not been to Sanibel in a very long time, but i have fond memories of
the Wildlife Refuge. my dad and i drove around a corner there and saw over
100 Roseate Spoonbills in a single flock (this is something that you simply
never see in the wild. ever. we saw it.)

The Corkscrew Swamp preserve is a very thing to do on the west coast. i
used to camp in Myakka River State Park on the west coast with the Boy
Scouts, and have fond memories of the place. don't know if it's still the
same, though.

Fort Desoto State Park on the west coast is quick. mostly it's used for
beaches by local residents, but the remnants of the coastal
fortifications are more than a little interesting for those who are into
in that sort of thing. i can provide a URL for an excellent web page on
old US coastal fortifications on request.

i have mixed feelings about touring the Kennedy Space Center. on the one
hand, there is a lot of major historical stuff there -- the original
Mercury Mission Control (used until they got Houston going), one of the
surviving Saturn V boosters on static display, and the VAB at launch
complex 39, without question the most intimidating building you will ever
see. on the other hand, they have privatized the operation of the visitors
stuff, and i gather that the privatization is somewhat less than
successful.

richard