Dinged Cylinder Liner

Digestians..

Well, we're making headway on the car, but I found an "issue" that I thought I'd ask about.

Because of the full engine rebuild on our 77 Spider, I have a new set of pistons/liners. (9.0:1, call me chicken, I live in So CA)

I just noticed, after looking closely at the liners for the first time, that one of the liners has many little indentations at various places around the inside.

Talked to the mechanic who did some machining work for me, his conclusion was that it was the piston pin in the piston, slides down and bangs against the liner, if the cylinder/liner box is on it's side during shipping, or being dropped, etc... They do have a sort of semicircular side, and a more straight side...

He wasn't too concerned about them, especially if they weren't high spots, and suggested very careful sanding to lower just them if neccicary.

I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with these kinds of things, and kind of a general "how big is too big"?

Returning the liner set would be somewhat of a hassle, but having a defect that I really don't want to live with would be worse.

For a little more info, there are probably over a dozen little dings, most very small, <1mm in length and very shallow. There are 2 or 3 larger ones, that are 2-3 mm long, and one that is about 4 mm long and possibly .25-.5 mm wide.

Well, am I being paranoid, or should I think about returning this set for a new one?

Jon and Marcia (actually working together on the engine rebuild, fun!)
77 Spider