Re: GTV6 cooling fan meltdown...(reasonably long)

I don't know why, but every GTV-6 fan I've ever heard of failing, has been the passenger-side fan. What happened on mine is that it started to turn slowly in relationship to the driver's side unit, and it got very hot (drawing upwards of 12 amps will do that). When mine went, there were no replacements available so I had to improvise by fitting a used single Milano fan in place of both GTV-6 fans. But the day I got the Milano fan installed and working, I received the new catalogue from International Auto Parts (IAP) in Charlottsville Virginia that had (for the first time) replacement fans available. Apparently, they went to the original manufacturer in Italy and had a new run made-up for them I recall that they cost about $125 each. OTOH, I have a good GTV-6 fan that I'm no longer using. If you want it, I'll let you have it for $75. I paid to have both of the fans disassembled and cleaned down to bare metal before I knew that one of them was shot. So they are both newly painted with no rust and the good one has had the bearing cleaned and re-lubricated, the commutator has been cleaned and the brushes are in good shape. Let me know if you are interested.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0S

On Saturday, June 7, 2003, at 02:53 PM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 16:49:18 -0400
From: "Ryan Mottice" <tont032@domain.elided>
Subject: GTV6 cooling fan meltdown...(reasonably long)

Friends,

While out for a pleasant drive around the capital beltway (i.e. wasting time
sitting in bumper to bumper traffic at 10:30 a.m.) I started to smell
something burning. I caught a hint of it, then it was gone. A while later
the smell came back with a vengeance and i watched as the engine temp began
to creep up. I pulled over and popped the hood to find the source. First
things first: coolant - good, drivers side fan, ok - pass side fan, not ok.
pass side fan wiring - insulation melted off. following the wire to the
connectors - connectos melted together. Since the radiator is in the way
and I could follow the wiring no further, I headed to the wiring harness on
the drivers side. The harness was split open exposing the wire which had by
then shed it's insulation. Since the connector was fried, I cut the power
wire and drove home (temp was fine at speed). Got home, removed fried fan,
opened it up and discovered death, as expected. First of all, what could
have caused such an event, and secondly...how does one go about replacing
said fried components. I might as well replace both fans while I'm at it,
but the real question here is the wiring. Upon initial inspection it the
meltdown doesn't seem to have damaged any other circuits...thank goodness
for that. I have some ideas of how to remedy this, but I thought I'd ask if
anyone has come across a similar situation. Thanks for letting me ramble.

Ryan

84 GTV6
91 164S x2