Will 205's work on a Spider?

In #558 Peter_van_Kooij comments and asks: "The question was asked, what
is the maximum tire size for a spider. I think I have a pretty good idea
now, and assume this goes for a '68 Duetto just the same. I am wondering
what the original tire size was for a Duetto. Mine has 15" wheels that
look stock, but I would have expected 14" rims."

***********

Peter, I'd guess 205's would be too wide for your 4.5" rims. Apparently
5 and 5.5" rim widths were available for (I'm assuming this is what you
have) the 1600 Duetto. Not sure how available they actually were.

Yes, 15" is correct for your car. FWIW it should have the stainless
hubcaps with the smaller plastic black ring. I highly doubt if your car
is actually a '68. According to Fusi, Alfa had switched to the 1750 by
'68, along with 14" rims (progress was different in those days, tire /
wheel wise).

If you're determined to go with wider tires, get four 15" steel rims in
good condition, have a machine shop remove the 4.5's, and weld on the
wider rims.

Now, don't ask me how wide the 'new' wheels' rims should be (6"?) or
what the offset should be so you have the ideal look of visually filling
the wheel wells without having to cut off edges or rub on the inside.

Bet someone on the Digest has actually gone through this process and can
advise you. Should someone reply, it would be good to know if your car
was lowered and if so, by how much.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA