another question relating to limited prep SCCA production

In #555 Richard Welty asks: "...anyone know the weight of an Alfetta
driveshaft with respect to the weight of a driveshaft of a conventional
front engine/rear drive car?"

********

Richard, a '79 Alfetta driveshaft weighs 27 pounds, complete with
donuts, etc. Breaks down to 14 for the front 'half', 13 for the rear. I
would guess an early Alfetta driveshaft would weigh several pounds less.

A '79, unnnh, conventional Alfa Spider driveshaft weighs 23
pounds...without the front donut.

I'm certainly not a racer guy, but asked my Alfa knowledgeable machinist
about removing some weight from the flywheel on my '75 Alfetta GT street
car. He didn't recommend it since the rear flywheel is about the same
size as the clutch and felt idle, along with shifting, might be a
problem. Since the narrow front flywheel is there primarily to hold the
starter's ring gear, not sure how much one could remove and be safe -
unless the SCCA allows exterior starters, ala IRL, etc. Even then,
suspect the larger diameter front flywheel helps in keeping the
driveshaft, along with shifts, reasonably smooth.

Obviously (except for weights given) I'm doing a lot of guessing here.
Would be curious myself what the pitfalls / benefits are of cutting the
flywheel on an Alfetta GT - including which one and how much.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA