105 brake rebuild

Kind Alfisti,

I'm still wondering about how to reduce pedal slack in a floor mounted pedal 105.  One of the options I'm considering is the installation of 2psi residual pressure valves in the brake lines.  Wilwood makes these specifically for circumstances where the brake master cylinder is below the level of the callipers: http://www.wilwood.com/products/master_cylinders/rpv/rpv.asp <http://www.wilwood.com/products/master_cylinders/rpv/rpv.asp>

Someone over on the Alfa Racing list suggested that this may lead to brake drag, through not allowing the pads to retract sufficiently after application.  He also suggested that, so long as the system was sound with no leaks, there shouldn't be any slack in the system.  While I agree with this based on principles of hydraulic theory, anecdotal evidence suggests that it's very rare to have a floor mounted pedal 105 with a firm brake pedal.  (Or is this just because they're all over thirty years old now, and the brakes have concomitantly deteriorated?)

On these grounds, I'm still considering the residual pressure valves, and also a 24 mm master.  The large master will result in less travel and greater pedal effort, but it seems this should also translate to less slack in the system.

I'd welcome any views, advice, or effective solutions tendered.

Kind regards,
Anthony White
Wellington, NZ
'73 105 GTV 2000