Re: HC in AC

For what it's worth, I've had a huge leak in my GTV6 with HC refrigerant, and there was no huge fire. To have a fire you need an ignition source. The way that these gases disperse, I think you'd pretty much have to have an open flame to start a fire. There's data available about the concentration of refrigerant:air and the temperatures you'd need, and I think the research indicates that these circumstances pretty much won't happen under the hood of a car. To answer the original (Greg's?) question, the offical reason they're illegal (Mark pointed out the real reason) is because (unlike fuel, etc, systems) the AC system breaches the firewall, so in the event of a major collision in which underhood fire is unavoidable, flammable refrigerant would be likely to spread the fire into the passenger compartment more rapidly.

-Joe