Re: Refinishing Bosch Fuel Rail

To: Bill Bain
Re: Bosch Fuel Rail

Sorry if this isn't formatted right; I'm sorta new at this Digest stuff.
The iridescent gold color on the fuel rail is not cadmium. It's a dichromate post-treatment that's been used on both zinc and cadmium plating for decades. Cadmium isn't used much these days because of environmental reasons (in fact, it might have been outlawed by now), but zinc and dichromate will give the same appearance and good corrosion protection. Just make sure that your plater thoroughly rinses out the inside of the tubing so that you don't have any chemical reactions with the fuel. I hope this helps.