Re: Bad gas?

> "That's the issue, here in the People's Republik of
> Californication we have some serious crap gas.  91
> octane is the max (not 93 like most other regions)
> and
> the anti-ozone additives don't help either."
>
> Dunno how relevant my experience might be, since the
> Milano (despite
> what we were told when we bought it) has never
> required what passes for
> super-premium these days. But when we were in
> Tennessee, it wanted
> mid-grade gas for any but the gentlest driving;
> regular was okay on the
> highway, but I'd get some rattling around town. But
> in California,
> regular is working just fine - can't make it knock
> however much boot I
> give it. I figured it was the change from ethanol to
> MBTE; now that
> we're phasing out MBTE and going to ethanol, I guess
> I'll find out. Of
> course I understand that there are other differences
> in formulation from
> region to region, just to confuse things further...

Last comment before Richard boots me... I'm far from
an expert on fuels, even after having blended my own
while at Chrysler, but there seems to be enough
interest that I will try to line up someone from
Chevron to come to an ARA meeting and discuss this
issue.

If anyone has any connections at Chevron or any other
company that can speak on the issue of gasoline
forumations with authority, or has any comments about
this idea, please respond to me off digest.

Thanks,
Ian Lomax
ARA President