Transmission noise and clutch slippage: spider 1986

Hi all,

I started since couple of weeks to heard constant noise coming from the
transmission of my spider 1986. That noise typically occurs in neutral and
disappears when a gear is engaged. Is this a symptom that the clutch bearing
is worn out? Also, I started to enjoy clutch slippage occasionally, especially
during hill climbing or at hi-rpm. Are those symptoms related?

Since it is my first clutch problem ever, how long can I drive the car like
that? I mean, can I safely put 1000 miles on it during the summer. Do I expect
that the slippage will increase progressively, or should I expect that the
clutch will become inoperative suddenly?

Any driving tips for helping to extend the driving period before replacing the
clutch?

regards

_Damien
Damien Gaboury, Gio., PhD
Scientifique de recherche, CONSOREM
Universiti du Quibec ` Chicoutimi,
555 Boul de l'universiti, Chicoutimi, Qc, Canada, G7H 2B1
Tiliphone: 418-545-5011 ext 2270
Tilicopier: 418-545-5012