RE: 10:1 compression, shop info in Mountain View-CA

--- Jeff Greenfield <alfaguy@domain.elided> wrote:
> I've built several engines using both the 10:1 and
> 10:4 compression pistons.
> I've never had any significant problems with them as
> long as you use premium
> pump gas.
>
> The only time my spider pinged with the 10.4:1
> pistons was going up a
> mountain in Canada when I think I got some bad gas.

That's the issue, here in the People's Republik of
Californication we have some serious crap gas.  91
octane is the max (not 93 like most other regions) and
the anti-ozone additives don't help either.

I can't say for sure whether 10:1 is safe, but I
certainly wouldn't go with 10.4:1.   Hopefully someone
can offer real world advice, maybe check with Tom
Sahines, the ARA tech guru.  He builds enough engines
and should know what works and doesn't in California.

Good luck,
Ian Lomax
ARA Prez.
www.overheardcams.org