Natural Gas heaters in garages

I have one. Static ignition solves the safety problem. The gas valve has a heat sensor control (like the one in the house furnace) so gas can only flow for a very short time without successful ignition. Without heat at the thermocouple the gas valve shuts down. There is no pilot light, ignition is accomplished by a static spark. The only hazard is gasoline fumes will ignite also. As a safety precaution install ONLY overhead gas heaters in an unattached garage. (you gotta be nuts to have any kind of ignition based heater in an attached garage. Gasoline fumes are much heavier than air so it will take a big leak to get the explosion going.

Still, any garage is vulnerable to a vehicle leaking gasoline. So, don't allow your vehicles to leak.

I've used a gas heater in my unattached garage for about ten years now. So far, the only ignition problem I've had is with the stupid gas furnace. The solenoid control won't work periodically requiring replacement of the circuit board, made in Mexico of course!

It is heavenly to get into your pre warmed car when it is minus 37 C outside!

Cheers

Michael

Michael Smith
White 1991 164L