Intermittent wiper adaptations

Just retrofit wiper components from say a Lotus Elan, or any 60's vintage British built car. They were intermittent at the best of times. The last Elan I drove had wipers that automatically (or so it seemed to me at the time) turned off when it began raining. You can't get much more intermittent than that. Eat your heart out GM, beaten to the punch again, then Lotus also had automatically dipping (drooping?) headlights long before GM thought of such useful things as follow you home headlights or auto dimming rear view mirrors. Rain sensing wipers seem so... I dunno...unnecessary somehow. I mean can't the driver SEE it has begun to rain?

Come to think of it, most British built cars using Lucas electrics had intermittent wipers, part of a complete set of intermittent electrics. Kept the battery in good shape from under use.

My Alfa Romeos resolutely refuse to suffer wiper failure, though their idea of intermittent wipers is a bit strange. My SAAB 9000Turbo developed a case of intermittent wiper when the driver's side unscrewed itself from the spindle, during a heavy rainstorm of course. A most unusual form of intermittent wiper syndrome.

Michael Smith
White 1991 164L
Original owner