Hot water - was 'heaters' to slip by Richard's sharp eye

I'm going to (try) to justify my asking this, not only astute, but
erudite Alfa (automotive) group details concerning Electric tankless
water heaters.

Recently on the 750-101 Group a fellow [who (whom?) I bought a number of
parts from when restoring client's '60 Spider Veloce] asked the group
what should he include in the ultimate garage he was planning on having
built so he could restore his Alfa collection in his retirement.

He's back East and among other details was considering having heating
pipes laid in the concrete floor. Other's suggested the tankless gas
water heater for washing up, etc. I was going to suggest an electric one
would be much safer in a garage, but didn't at that time know if they
even existed.

First, they do. But my concern against having any items 'fired' by
natural gas in a garage stems from logic and living in So. Cal. First, a
gas water heater anywhere is just asking to be blown up if installed in
or near a garage. Seems as if gasoline fumes and hot water pilot lights
don't mix well - or perhaps too well. Many moons ago we had a biggy
earthquake. Big boom and fire in the apartment directly across from
mine. Lady had pulled out her small gas stove so she could clean behind
it the day before. Apparently the semi-flexible gas line was embrittled
and split during the quake. I worked with a small ad agency in Westwood.
They survived the quake reasonably well, but the next day an office two
doors down from them went ka-boom. Yeah, gas leak.

Moot point. Ain't no natural gas available in my shop, cum living
quarters, which is just fine with me. However little piddley ass 4 or 5
gallon Electric water heater in shop / living quarters, just took a
dump. As friend Jeff emailed me, Home Depot has them for around 80
bucks. This will probably be the solution, but it absolutely kills me to
replace / upgrade items since the owners make no improvements - until
one moves out. (Just had the roof's heat pump repaired). To change the
current water heater I have to turn off the water to the entire complex
(about 30 units). Also, the water heater is above the bathroom and with
more than a few boxes and car parts, is not all that accessible. Plus
which should water come pouring out during the switch, I have a number
of boxes of photos, slides, paintings, etc. below (and to the side - not
in the bathroom but do have car items in there) which would become
instant mush - and not easily moved before or after.

ERGO, I want to hook up a tankless electric water heater under the sink
(ground floor). I also would like to have enough hot water to be able to
keep a shower in hot water...until I decide to get out.

(Good old Google) SETS Products lists a 19.5" x 13" x 3" heater for
(unfortunately) $685 which will heat water for an entire house. They
also have a 'point of use' one for $389 which looks as if it 'might'
fill the bill. I'm not keen on spending that much, but could always take
it with me if / when the time comes.

Thanks for the emails / information, but would like even more direct
involvement observations concerning these types of products if possible.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA