Re: VIN# vs. chassis #

"Is it common knowledge that Alfa Romeo changes the #'s on GTV6's. I have a
discrepancy between the # stamped on the bulkhead and the # on my CA title as
well as the plate in the windshield.

"Bulkhead: ZAR11669000005034

"VIN: ZARAA6697D1005034

"I kinda know how to read the numbers on both, but I'd like to know if there
are others who have noticed this."

I can't say whether it is common knowledge or if there are others who have
noticed this, but Alfa Romeo didn't change anything; there are two different
numbers, identified on the vehicle build-sheet as the "VIN CEE" and the "VIN
USA". The VIN CEE (his ZAR11669000005034) is the chassis number listed in
d'Amico & Tabucchi (for the USA Tipo 116.69 motore tipo 01911 model year 83 da
ZAR116690*00005001 in avanti) while the USA VIN adds several other items of
information - that it is a GTV-6, that it has a five-speed, that it has a
particular trim level, that it was built in 1983, that it was built in Arese,
and a check sum digit. The CEE VIN system seems to have come into use in 1979
on some models, mid-year 1980 on others; the USA VIN variation started with
the 1981 cars.

Cheers

John H.