Milano HandBrake Problems

Hi,Last year the handbrake was tightened by our trusty ignition key bending mechanic , it would hold the car vertically in the grand canyon for a couple months and then through hill use and general wear and tear it started fading away. Now it has gotten to a point it wont hold the car on a flat surface, the car just rolls, i can hear my gearbox going to hell when i leave the milano in gear. Can the handbrake just be "tightened" again? or is there a permanent fix for this?ThanksMonty