RE: Re[2]: intermittent wipers

Richard -

Anything is possible if you spend enough time, effort and money :-)

To adapt the intermittent wipers to an earlier car, you would need the wiper
motor, relay, and the column switch. I'm pretty sure that the column switch
from a later car would fit an earlier car without a problem, although I've
never tried it. You would also need to modify the column shroud or fit a
later one as well.

The rest would just be wiring. With wiring diagrams for both systems it
should just be a matter of connecting the right wires to the right places.
This is probably easier said than done.

All that being said, there are two options for a much easier and simpler
solution ...

1) if the windshield washer system is working correctly, a light tap of the
foot pedal for the squirter will give you a single wipe without pushing any
fluid through the system. Kind of crude and not really intermittent but the
price is right.

2) You used to be able buy a device that you wire into the existing system
that would give you intermittent wipers with a variable delay no less. It
was a small (1x2 or so) box with a knob on it. Turn the wipers on, and this
would allow you to vary the delay by turning the knob. These are fairly
universal and can be wired into anything from an old Chebby to your more
exotic pride and joy. These are pretty simple to install, if you can read
the instructions, identify a few wires, and use a test light you'll do fine.

I haven't had the need to buy in any of these in the past several years,
last I knew, the only place that had them was JC Whitney.

HTH,

Jeff

on a semi related note -- does anyone have any idea how hard it might be to
adapt the intermittant wiper setup from a late spider into a GTV?

it's something i've been pondering for a couple of weeks now.

richard