Re: Lengthy replies

On Sat, 31 May 2003 11:49:16 -0700 Will Owen <nashwill912@domain.elided> wrote:
> I think what happens is people just hit REPLY and add their comments
> without stripping out the rest of the Digest.

bad editing of replies has been a problem as long as i've been on the net.
in the old days, folks who quoted excessively generally got abuse heaped on
them until they stopped. these days, we seem to tolerate it more.

i think it is happening more than it used to due to the rise in top
posting. old line network users traditionally indent the text they are
replying to with > and intersperse their comments w/o indentation. many
newish mail clients seem to encourage adding replies at the top, w/o paying
any attention to how much text is included in the reply.

i here by grant to any member of the list permission to privately (in
offlist email) heap abuse on any one who top posts and doesn't edit
quoted text to a minimum.

cheers,
  richard