Re: Items from the last few digests

On Sat, 31 May 2003 10:08:07 -0700 Gordy Hyde <gohyde@domain.elided> wrote:

> All, including Richard -
> Three things -
> 1 - I don't wish to get involved in AROC vs. digest issues (but would
> like to see an AROC-sponsored forum)

what i don't want is the alfa digest to turn into a forum for club
politics, which are generally petty and boring, and not what it's supposed
to be about. i suspect that AROC national will not want to see me start
aroc-us@domain.elided, and they don't want me to, i won't.

> - Nonetheless - for you Richard, I would
> gladly scan or type the NWARC by-laws (over 38 years old, however) and
> send
> them to you.

that'd be nice to get. we're probably going to need to write new bylaws as
part of bringing the club back to life, and examples will help.

> 2 - Last Spring I helped an NWARC member rebuild the tranny in his early
> 70's Spider before he drove it to Costa Mesa.  The friend's shop we
> "appropriated" was equipped with a really neat hydraulic press
> constructed
> of, you guessed it, angle iron and a 5 ton hydraulic jack.  Very simple.
>  No
> plans, but one should be able to look at a commercial press and copy it
> pretty well, without plans, I would think.

yes, i'm looking at the John Block book and it's not that hard to do. the
one in the book needs to be welded, and is easier to build with a drill
press, but a drill press and a welder are both things i would like to have
in my shop anyway.

> 3 - Richard again - I recommend you wait to buy the "second coming" of
> Wes'
> SPICA manual.  I'm not sure when it will be available, but I've heard
> that
> Joe Cantrell (you there, Joe?) is working with Wes to bring it
> up-to-date.

thanks. i'm in no rush to get one, the spica in my gtv is working fine
right now. when the alfetta race car goes back on the track, it will likely
be with one of Wes's pumps in it. whether it will return as an ITB car
(what it is now) or as limited prep FP (needs a bunch of work and SCCA comp
board action to add the car to the class) remains to be seen.

richard