Re: Will 205's work on a spider?

I have been running 215/60R14 Goodyear Eagle HPs on the original alloy
wheels on my 1987 Spider Veloce. Wheel size is 14x6. I have no experience
with 15" wheels, but here is my 2 cents...

I believe that this tire size is the absolute upper limit for the 14x6
wheels.

The bad news-

1. Under aggressive cornering, rears rub against the inner wheel wells.
Never had problems on bumps, and they rub so infrequently in my 9/10 driving
style that I am willing to live with them. Usually happens on highway
on-ramp curves, rarely any time else.
2. It seems as though this tire has been discontinued in this size.

The good news-

1. Great dry handling (South Florida sunshine)
2. Great wet handling (South Florida downpours)
3. They look great
4. They wear well
5. The sidewall height is almost precisely the same as the OEM tire
(185/70R14). This means (in theory) that speedo error should be zero. BTW-
theoretical difference in sidewall height between the 2 sizes is 0.5mm!
Checking speedo against my GPS confirms little error.
6. Price is (was) reasonable

IMHO, I think this is the best compromise between handling, ride, and price
without changing wheels. If you look carefully, you may still be able to
find these tires hiding in a tire shop back corner.

-Ray Manners
 1987 Spider Veloce